March 4, 2010

Land of Potatoes and Blue Turf

Greetings from Boise, Idaho! Never been to Boise before, and all I knew about the great state is that they are famous for their potatoes and Boise State, where I'm working this week, is well known for their bright blue-turfed football field*.

Well, I haven't made it to see the blue turf, that's my next stop, but I have experienced some gourmet potatoes. A dinner meeting at the Boise Fry Company in the capitols downtown was quite the experience for the tastebuds. The concept at this hole in the wall spot is built around the potato itself. You have a variety of potatoes to choose from; yesterday I chose Purple (apparently, they have an earthier taste than your typical Red Lady or Russet potato- I would agree) and you get to decide how you'd like them prepared- regular french fries, curly, shoestring, crisscut, etc. Once you've made that big decision, you pick a burger, as your side. I enjoyed a bison burger, with garlic aioli, roasted tomatoes, pickled onions and cheddar, ie. perfection on a toasted bun.

The whole experience was great, but the best part was the ketchup bar. Yes, you read it correct- ketchup bar (the next best thing to a salsa bar perhaps?). There were about 10 different types you could choose from but I enjoyed the spicy, garlic and blueberry ketchup the best. Blueberry ketchup is apparently one of their most popular ketchups, and although it sounds gross in the beginning, it was just sweet enough to create a really nice savory-sweet combo during your meal. So good.

If you ever find yourself in Boise, head over to Broadway to experience this unique spot. If fries and bugers weren't so bad for you, I'd probably go here everyday during my visit so that I could try something different on their menu- specifically The Bourgeois- fries cooked in duck fat and sprinkled with black truffle salt. Mmm. They also have a fair amonut of local brews on tap, and although I could not imbibe while working this week, definitley pair your meal there with an ice cold beverage. Surely it would take it to the next level.

Thinking a foodie blog is next on the docket for me... obviously, patent pumps will be worn during these adventures as well. Thoughts?

*My darling sister would complain that said turf added to the Ducks loss when they played Boise last year.

1 comment:

  1. garlic aioli - amazing condiment! thanks for the review; sounded delicioso

    ReplyDelete