December 29, 2009

Epi-logging

Santa may have logged more miles than I have in the last week, but I'm right there with him with spanning the globe in just under a day. And really, I haven't done my blog any justice (especially since part of its focus is traveling) because I haven't written about any of it! Between long security lines, major jet lag and the holidays, I've been just a bit- sleepy... Not to mention the lack of a cell phone or internet for two weeks. Oh my gosh was that hard- accepting the fact that I'm addicted to it and the whole not having it part.

Right before Christmas, I flew home via Barcelona -> Munich -> Los Angeles, following a wonderful journey through the Eastern Mediterranean and Egypt. Highlights of the trip included:

-seeing the Great Pyramids and Sphinx in Cairo
-exploring the city of Valletta, Malta and seeing St. Pauls Co-Cathedral in the city center, where I was pleasantly surprised to find it home to two, rare Carvaggio's
-visiting a mosque on the Muslim New Year in downtown Cairo, and then cruising down the Nile for a traditional Egyptian feast
-traveling with three adorable kids, who loved seeing all these cool places as much as I did
-hiking the Acropolis, equipped with my Art History knowledge of the ancient grounds and sharing it with others

I now write to you from the Kona Coast of the Big Island, (Hawaii, for you main land-ers) watching the whales migrate past the island with their new calves. The tropical weather is in complete contrast to what I've experienced in the last two weeks- the perfect weather to take a vacation from my vacation. Also rather amusing, I'm a full 180 degrees opposite from where I was on the planet a mere week ago. Pretty cool huh?

My objective now is to go snorkeling, turn a lovely shade of golden brown, and cheer the Oregon Ducks on as they beat Ohio on the first of the New Year- all with my family, wonderful people who I haven't seen much of this year.

2010 is looking promising and I hope you feel the same way- here's to a Happy New Year to you all, and all the best in your travels, no matter where they may take you!!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment