August 24, 2009

VA- new wine haven?

As you can see- this post title is neither work nor travel related. But, I'm not working right now and am travelling a little bit, so here's what you get in the time being....

I scoffed when I did research two years ago that revealed North Carolina would be the next "Napa Valley" come 2020. You've got to make more than just a sweet muscadine wine guys... But perhaps I should give them another chance?

This weekend, I gave wine from Virginia another go and was pleasantly surprised at their complexity, variety and the overall experience I had. Come to think of it, I never wrote off Virginian wines to begin with, but I never really gave them a fair chance and my exposure had been limited. According to oenophiles in the area, there are over 150 wineries in Virginia, all open for tastings and doing relatively well considering the economic shift we're experiencing. These are wines paired with great views of the Old Dominion and muster thoughts of Thomas Jefferson and his neoclassical tastes.

Ever in the area? May I suggest that you pay a visit to Barrel Oak Winery (http://www.barreloak.com/)- dog and family friendly- and try their chocolate wine (yes Courtney, the lady in Kansas was right, it exists) and stay for live music while enjoying your own picnic. Their CabFranc was also excellent. They are doing their first crush in October and I'm so excited for them. Wish I could be there.

Ok- back to my rough life... Reading by the lake and absorbing my Vitamin D for the day.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

  1. It's not quite lazy Friday, but it sounded pretty nice. Might have to check out the wineries in VA...

    ReplyDelete